At Living in Luzern, we often get queries about sports clubs in the area, particularly for children. Therefore, we asked around for recommendations and have come up a rather large list (sorted in alphabetical order by sport).
- The Luzern Lions are Luzern’s very own American Football Club and has Senior, Juniors U19 and Juniors U16 teams as well as a cheerleading squad.
- Strebel Bogensport in Kriens offer courses for adults and kids – tel 041 210 18 28.
- City Boulder has recently opened a great facility also in Kriens and runs a kids’ climbing course every Wednesday as well as adult evening course and private lessons – tel 041 310 5490.
- Pilatus Indoor in Root has a wide variety of indoor climbing courses – tel 041 450 44 25.
- The Luzern Lions Junior Cricket Club (not to be confused with the American Football team) meets every Saturday morning at the Mattli Gym in Horw and plays both indoors and outdoors depending on the weather – tel 041 377 11 87.
- InterSoccer run a wide range of after school, weekend and holidays courses and camps in English for boys and girls of all ages. The majority of these take place in Zug but there are some courses in Luzern (eg. Wed afternoons).
- FC Meggen also welcomes boys and girls of all ages even if they don’t speak German. Watch out for their open session which takes place in June/July where kids can go and have a kick around to see if they would like to join the club (junior contact is Christian Zingg firstname.lastname@example.org).
- McDonald’s (as in the restaurant) run a week long football camp for boys and girls ages 6 to 13 every summer – this year in Luzern it’s at the Allmend from 8th to 12th July.
- HC Luzern, the local hockey club is open to girls and boys and older players. They offer try out classes during the school holidays too.
- Kitihof in Baar runs childrens (and parents) classes as well as various events throughout the year – tel 078 866 16 42.
- For Girls and Women (ages 13+), whether you’ve played before or you are a beginner, you are welcome to join Netball Zug for fun and fitness. Check out the website for more information.
- Taisho have classes in 2 venues in Luzern however the one in Neuweg 10 is where most of the expats go. The owner Toni Romano and his wife Marianne Furrer speak English and are really friendly – tel 041 210 66 70.
- Seeclub Stansstad is one of Living in Luzern’s favourites and runs junior training sessions (ages 10 to 16) on Wednesday afternoons and evening adult courses. The coach speaks (some) English.
- Reuss Ruderclub Luzern also runs junior courses during the school holidays and a wide variety of adult courses – tel 041 360 24 25.
- Rugby Club Luzern has male and female teams with training on Tuesdays and Thursdays .
- Rugby Club Zug has a rugby school for children with a Minis Club (for all ages up to 13) on Sunday mornings and Juniors Club (aged 11 to 17) on Wednesday evenings. First Team training takes place on Wednesday and Friday evenings. Contact their President, Sebastian le Page, on 079 332 69 24.
- Eisklub Luzern takes beginners of all ages through-out the year. Classes run twice a week Monday evenings and Saturday mornings.
- Swimwenger run private and small group lessons in English across various pools in Luzern including Emmen and Allmend – tel 041 370 62 65.
- There are also several swimming clubs offering group lessons in German – Zwergmaus, Aquababy and Schwimmklub-Luzern to name but a few….
- Long Arnald is a great teacher for adults and kids. He offers private or group lessons in English outdoors at the Hermitage Hotel in summer and indoors at various locations in winter – tel 079 325 41 21.
Obviously, this is just a small number of the sports clubs in Luzern however many of them are attended by expats in the area and come highly recommended!
If the sport that you are interested in is not included on this list then check out this excellent website (in German) which gives contact details for all sports clubs and associations registered in the canton Luzern.