Unemployed: now what?

If you have just been made redundant know that your employer has certain legal obligations they need to submit to, if the beginning of your redundancy period has not been clarified in your contract then these rules apply: .

During your trial period: 7 days.

During your first year: 1 month (end of calendar month)

During 2nd to 9th year: 2 months

After 10 years: 3 months.

Be aware that should you resign without having another job or if you are fired through your own fault then your governmental compensation may be delayed.

Work Certificate:

Ask your employer to write a work certificate covering your period of service. Be careful what is written as there is a code language understood by HRs often used.

Start Looking for a New Job

In order to get your governmental compensation you will need to show your willingness to find a new job in the briefest delay.

Start by updating your resume and begin to apply for jobs without delay; even before you have stopped working for your current company (and keep all proof of job applications). These will be invaluable once you meet your RAV job centre advisor. Failure to look for a job immediately will also lead to a delay in your unemployment compensation .

Eligibility to unemployment

You are eligible for unemployment if:

You are officially recognised as unemployed (apply to RAV)

You need to be residing in Switzerland

You need to have contributed to unemployment for a minimum of 12 months in the previous 2 years. There are several caveats, find out more here.

Be prepared to work again immediately.

Signing up for unemployment.

You are responsible for approaching the unemployment office and announcing your current unemployment. Do this as soon as you have been given notice or at the very latest on the first day of your official unemployment period. You will need to do this at the RAV  (Regionale Arbeitsvermittlungszentrum), you will be assigned an advisor who will support in your search for a new job.

If you have a short stay permit you can stay for up to 6 months to look for another job, but you will need to obtain permission from the cantonal immigration authorities. You can find more information here.

Good luck with your search, you can also contact our JIFF advisor who may have some suggestions for you.



Join Our Newsletter

Scroll to Top