The LiLi Centre is officially one month old! Like proud parents we have been short on sleep and getting used to coping with new tasks as well as dealing with unexpected growth pains, but it has all been worth it.
Our opening day party saw more than 200 people come through the doors and we were overwhelmed by people’s enthusiasm and generosity. There was a simultaneous moment where families with toddlers were playing on the front terrace, people were deep in conversation in the Pad, a cupcake demonstration was taking place in the kitchen (The Hob), a massage was being performed in the Nest, the Switzerland-Albania match was being watched in the Hive, and a yoga class was taking place on the back terrace.
That is the epitome of what the LiLi Centre is about, a friendly space that meets people’s various needs.
Now we have our regularly scheduled programming hosted in the Centre, along with a few one-time events and special activities.
Membership has been growing on a daily basis which is essential to the financial survival of the centre. Members have access to the centre and can use it as a place to relax, play and work. They also have access to many events for free or reduced rates. Be sure to sign up for your membership if you haven’t already done so.
The centre can also be rented for events. We’ve already hosted a few birthdays, workshops, wellness days and more. Learn more about our venue rental here.
We kicked off the summer holidays with our End of the School Year Party this past Saturday. With everyone heading off to their respective summer holidays or plans, we’ll be observing summer hours at the centre. From now until August 22nd, the centre will only be open for scheduled activities and events.
Members who want to use the space outside of scheduled programming can contact us directly. The space is also available for parties and events throughout the summer—it’s a great place for members to use as their base when visiting the Ufschötti (there even is a shower!).
We have many new activities planned for the fall, and if you are interested in running anything be sure to let us know.
Our Regular Scheduled Programme
- Our Parents & Tots groups now meets twice a week on Tuesday and Friday mornings from 9.30 onwards.
- The Living in Luzern Information Coffee Morning takes place every Wednesday morning at 9.30 and it is always so rewarding to meet and help new people as well as catch up with friends.
- A Job Seekers Group has been set up, this meets on Tuesday mornings and is intended to help motivate people who are looking for work here.
- Our German Conversation Group is now taking place every Wednesday evening from 18.30 (until 20.00) and will continue to do so throughout the summer. Our Chinese Conversation Group is taking a summer break and will resume on September 8. There are other Language Conversation Groups in the works too.
- Our sports/health classes, including yoga and outdoor fitness, will also be resuming after the summer holiday.
- The Lucerne World Theatre Group has set up home at the centre and they meet Tuesday evenings from 19.30 to 21.30 and will continue to do so throughout the month of July. Their children’s theatre programme is on break will also resume after the summer holidays.
- We also have in-house therapists using the Nest, you can book appointments for massages with Samuele Fenu, Deborah Lodge and Hedwig Van Ingen.
New: International Evenings in August!
One of the goals with the centre has always been to bring people of different cultures together to learn from each other. Starting this August, we’ll be hosting a series of monthly international evenings that celebrate various cultures and cuisines.
Our very first international evening will take place on Saturday, August 20th. We’ll be hosting a Kräftskiva, a traditional Swedish summer party celebrated with lots of crayfish and Aquavit. We’ll be sending out additional information soon, but mark your calendars now!
Wishing you all a wonderful summer!
– Charlie and the LiLi Centre Team.