Coronavirus Update Lucerne – Friday Octobter 23
The government held another press conference today to say that Switzerland has become one of the countries with the most infections (485) per 100 000 citizens in Europe. This is more than France, Italy, Spain or Germany. If the infection rate continues at this speed our hospitals will reach maximum capacity within a month. It has already become near impossible for contact tracing to take place. The government asks that people download the app and if they are positive that they reach out to those they have been in contact with so that they may self isolate.
The government continues to stress that it doesn’t want a lockdown but rather a “slow down” of the population. Numbers will likely continue to grow until we see the effects of the steps taken so far. The government called on the cantons to take more drastic measures.
This is what Lucerne did this afternoon by announcing that it is putting the following measures into place starting tomorrow Saturday October 24.
- Restaurants, including bars and clubs, discos and dance halls, must be closed to the public between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- In hospitals and nursing homes, including health resorts, visiting is prohibited. The management of the institution decides on exceptions in cases of hardship.
- At workplaces inside facilities and companies, masks are compulsory. Exceptions are persons working alone in a room, as well as workplaces where the distance can be maintained or additional protective measures such as barriers are in place.
- In closed private and transport vehicles, masks are compulsory when transporting persons who do not live in the same household.
- Erotic and sex establishments are closed to the public.
This is on top of the current measures which we wrote about last Friday.
Next Wednesday the government will be announcing further measures that may be taken on a national level.
Remember to follow the guidelines.