Covid-19 – Update March 10
Italy is as of today in complete lockdown. All schools, universities and kindergartens have been closed, all sport and cultural activities have been cancelled, museums, cinemas and even ski resorts are shutdown and only people who can justify it are allowed to travel.
These restrictions will be upheld until at least April 3rd and affect 60 million people. It is unclear what happens with tourists and foreigners who currently are in the country. Although Austria has asked for all its citizens to come home.
Alsace has now closed all of its schools and France and Germany have now also forbidden meetings of more than 1000 people.
Yesterday saw all stock markets worldwide crashing under the double whammy of the coronavirus and an oil „war“ between Russia and Saudi Arabia meaning that the price of the barrel dropped dramatically.
To date there are over 110 000 cases of coronavirus in the world and close to 4000 deaths. There are 371 known cases in Switzerland of which, 4 are in Lucerne and 7 in Zug and Schwyz respectively.
The precautions in Switzerland are unchanged.
- Wash your hands with water and soap regularly.
- sneeze and cough into your elbow or a tissue (which you then throw away into a closed container).
- No physical contact when greeting someone.
- Apply social distancing (i.e. staying a meter away from people if possible)
- Avoid public transport during rush hour
- And self isolate if you are feeling unwell.
Keep safe and healthy.