Celeberating Mother’s Day is one of the great pleasures of my year. Here are 11 ways to celebrate Mothers Day in Central Switzerland. Leave a comment below and add to the conversation!
I am usually spoiled with a Mother’s day Breakfast in Bed on Saturday morning (yes we celebrate all weekend), it’s a great start to what is sure to be a great weekend. Six ideas for May 9th:
- Luzern Tulip Show is still going on Saturday from 8.00 to 16.00.
- Saturday morning I like to go into downtown to the market (6.00-13.00) and stroll through the stalls for a beautiful bouquet of flowers.
- I am eager to try the Tisch und Bar Restaurant – it comes highly recommended for Breakfast, Brunch and daily menus.
- In Kanton Nidwalden Buochs is having a Quai Market. There will be kid attractions, food specialties, and lots of stalls peddling crafty merchandise- details HERE.
- Saturday afternoon at 3:45 SASL is doing their newcomers event, a walking tour of Lucerne and followed by an apéro at the Gutch. Details HERE.
- If you are very lucky to get some free time, perhaps some pampering at the spa is in order. LiL has several partners that can assist in beauty and relaxation, one that I would love to visit is the Hotel National. As if you needed a little incentive read this post.
On Sunday May 10th try one of these ideas, or maybe all 5:
- Brunch restaurants are plentiful on Mother’s Day, a popular choice is the Hotel National– I suppose in a perfect world you could just check in on Saturday and stay through Sunday. In addition Schwendi-Kaltbad in Kanton Nidwalden, is offering a brunch -buffet from 9.00-12.00.
- If the weather is cooperative, then a walk in the mountains is a lovely way to enjoy a holiday. I am often asked about where to go if you don’t want to take the gondola to access a mountain top. I always suggest the Burgenstock. There are several ways great hikes to take and depending on your fitness level, you can walk all the way up or choose to drive to the top and park at Parkplatz Honnig. From there follow the signs for the wanderweg paths. There are also options (depending on the time of year) to arrive by ship. This hike is among the most popular.
- Another option- that includes a gondola ride is Maria-Rickenbach. There are several hikes from here in a range of difficulty levels. The restaurant Das PilgerHAUS is offering a singing trio concert and special 4 course menu (they are also known for their desserts).
- A Mother’s Day Cruise could be a perfect way to relax with the whole family rain or shine. You can take a steamboat lunch cruise from the pier- 11.30-16.30.
- Finally if you are looking for a Homemade gift idea to send back home. This is sure to make Grandparents smile and feel a little closer to you.
Here are more Restaurants offering Mutterstag -menüs around Nidwalden and Lucerne.
Glasi Hergiswil Restaruant Adler
Restaurant OpusThe Continental Park Hotel Luzern
The Seehotel Hermitage
Read more about Hollee Thornton’s local expat family and follow their adventures on Moxiblog.com.